Friday, August 19, 2011

In the End...

Today I attended the funeral of the father of my co-worker and friend. During the course of the service, I heard a great many fond memories related about this man's life and the legacy of kindness and laughter that he passed on to all that knew him. I regret that I did not have a chance to know this man personally. However I realize that in the compassionate, affable nature of his son, I do know a little of him and I am a better person for it.
All in all, I began to think of what others would say of me once my day comes and the Lord calls me home to be with Him for eternity. I have had a personal goal of improving every life that I touch even if it is only by sharing a smile or a word of encouragement. This is a heady goal and one that I know that I may not reach, but if you don't aim high, what will you accomplish?
As much as I desire to live a life that people will remember fondly, I have come to realize that there is one consideration that is more important. While living a life of character and integrity should make a positive impact on the lives of others, the one comment that I most hope to hear after I depart this life is, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." I want to live a life of obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ so that when I stand before Him and He looks at my life he will find that I have lived as He desired. To me, this is what it means to be a Christian and as James, the brother of Christ wrote, a bondservant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ (James 1:1).
One blessing I have is that the two goals are not mutually exclusive. If I am living as the Lord requires, making a positive impact on the lives I touch should be a natural consequence. Hopefully someday as friends and family gather to remember my life, there will more smiles than tears because they know I am being welcomed into the arms of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment