Tuesday, April 23, 2013

How to change the world.

I look around me at the world today and I am saddened. I see people losing their faith in themselves, each other and in God. I see people whose sole goal in life seems to be pleasing themselves or collecting more things that they can possess. It seems to be ever more difficult to locate courtesy, honesty, honor and chivalry. Integrity- do we even know this word any more? No one is willing to accept responsibility for their actions or circumstances. There is always someone else out there to point the finger at. What happened to our nation?
I am reminded that the bible teaches that there is none righteous, no not one. Two thousand years from the time of that writing and it is still as true today. No, I am not pointing fingers, because I am just as guilty. I want what I want when I want it. I get annoyed when I don't get my way. I too find myself asking God, "When?" even though I know I should be saying, "In your timing, Lord, let Your will be done."

Here's the thing... instead of griping about how bad it is - and it is bad - maybe it's time to start doing something about it? What can we do in the face of what seems to be insurmountable ugliness? I suggest taking a tip from a source that many would consider unusual at best; Michael Jackson. The song The Man In The Mirror came out years ago, but is relevant today as much as it was then if not more so. The premise is simple: be the change that you want to see in the world.
Here's what it looks like. If you want to see more honesty in the world, deal honestly with others. You want to see integrity, display it. Be kind and courteous. BE an example of Christian love if you wish there were more of it being shown. If each of us starts where we live, where we work and where we play, I think we might start seeing it reciprocated. It might be a slow process and sometimes it might seem pointless, but is it ever pointless to do the right thing? Try it. If nothing else comes of it, you might be able to sleep a little better at night knowing that at least YOU have tried to make a difference.
That is my food for thought for the day.

Blessings,
Stan

2 comments:

  1. Stan, one thing you left out of the equation: Lost people act like lost people. We should not be shocked at the world slipping deeper and deeper into degradation because they have chosen to separate themselves from the vine and like a branch cut off from the vine it slowly withers and dies with no signs of new life. Without the gospel, there is no hope of making any lasting change in the world. If we don't like what is happening in Washington, the answer isn't in the politicians, it is in reaching the hearts of those voting for the politicians with the truth of the gospel and changing what they value. Washington is the tail, not the dog, it will wag whatever way the heart of the country directs, so until Christians start getting out there, obeying the Great Commission (Matt. 28:18-20) and witnessing, baptizing and teaching obedience to those who respond, then we will only be lights under a basket watching the gathering darkness closing in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true brother. Trying to live out my witness, but often fail. Still trying though.

    ReplyDelete