Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I disagree.

I look around me at the world today and I see so many instances of people being accused of having hate in their hearts for another person or group simply because of disagreement over viewpoints. This makes no sense to me. Have we as human beings lost the ability to separate a viewpoint from the person espousing it? Or is there something more at play?
I have a close friend who is like a brother to me. He and I have several points of view on which we surprisingly agree, but many upon which we strongly disagree. I am diametrically opposed to his points of view on some moral issues and political positions, but I would take a bullet for him.
If this is the case with my buddy, surely it is also the case elsewhere in the nation? So, here is the question that I really need to get to and hopefully get some people to think about. Is it possible - think about it - is it possible that the accusations of hatred are merely a tool to shut up the person whose viewpoint we disagree with?
I point to many issues as my proof: if you oppose anything that President Obama does, you are a bigot, a hater, a racist or in the  case of black Americans like myself, an Uncle Tom. If you are opposed to gay marriage being recognized as marriage, you are called a homophobe, a hater, and a bigot.
Wow, no one wants to be decried as a hating, bigoted racist, so we meekly shut our mouths and bow our heads and keep our opinions to ourselves. It is the right thing to do if you like not having your opinion heard and letting people believe you agree with the most vocal part of society. But, what if you don't want to be silent?
The bible tells us that we should speak the truth in love. If you are opposed to something that is happening in society, you need to find the courage to simply state that you disagree and state clearly why. We are advised to be courageous, especially when we are right. DO NOT be afraid to be despised or ridiculed by people for standing for what is right and moral. In the end, you have to answer to your conscience and if you are a Christian, you have to answer to God for how you handled the truth. Did you let your light shine or hide it? Did you act as salt in the world to preserve what is decent and right or did you leave the salt in the shaker? Some may not think it very important, but - I disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment